1/2 pound sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
3 cups water
2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 cup frozen corn
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the water, potatoes and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add corn; simmer 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into the sausage mixture.
From Taste of Home.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 large leek
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 12 ounces red thin-skinned potatoes scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces Dungeness crab meat, cooked and shelled
- In a 4- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon, chopped, until fat starts to render.
- Add white part of leek, halved, rinsed, and thinly sliced; stir until limp.
- Add wine and boil until almost evaporated.
- Add chicken stock, water, corn, potatoes, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 10 minutes.
- Stir whipping cream into chowder.
- Add Dungeness crab; cover and cook until heated through, stirring as little as possible to keep crab intact.
Serve with cilantro purée.
Adapted from Sunset Magazine.