- 3 slices bacon
- 1 large leek
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 12 ounces red thin-skinned potatoes scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces Dungeness crab meat, cooked and shelled
- In a 4- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon, chopped, until fat starts to render.
- Add white part of leek, halved, rinsed, and thinly sliced; stir until limp.
- Add wine and boil until almost evaporated.
- Add chicken stock, water, corn, potatoes, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 10 minutes.
- Stir whipping cream into chowder.
- Add Dungeness crab; cover and cook until heated through, stirring as little as possible to keep crab intact.
Serve with cilantro purée.
Adapted from Sunset Magazine.