Coconut Rice Ingredients
- 3/4 cup white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
Red Beans Ingredients
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1/2 small fresh chile pepper, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can of red kidney beans, drained (black beans will work too)
- Chopped scallions and/or cilantro
Coconut Rice Instructions
- Rinse and drain the rice
- In a saucepan on medium heat, sauté the rice, turmeric, and salt in the vegetable oil for a minute or two, stirring constantly
- Add the water and coconut milk, bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low
- Simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes
Red Beans Instructions
- While the rice is cooking, in a saucepan on medium heat, sauté the onions in the vegetable oil for 3 or 4 minutes
- Add the red pepper flakes, sprinkle lightly with salt, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, for 5 to 8 minutes
- Add the thyme, allspice, tomatoes, and beans, co3ver, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve the red beans on a bed of the rice and top with scallions and/or cilantro
From: Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers / The Today Show.
From Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home (pp. 355)
The Quick-Soaking Method
- Put beans in a pot and cover them with 2 inches of water.
- Place pot on high heat and bring water to boil.
- After beans have boiled uncovered for 2 minutes, cover the pot and remove from heat.
- Allow beans to sit for 1 hour (chickpeas will take a bit longer).
- Beans are ready to cook!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place picked-over, rinsed, soaked, and drained beans in oven-safe pot and cover with 2 inches of fresh water.
- Bake for 1 hour (chickpeas will take a bit longer).
- 2 cups pintos soaked overnight.
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 4 chopped tomatoes
Cook in slow cooker with 6 cups of water until soft.