- 1 pound backfin or jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 cup crushed saltine creackers
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 TB Dijon mustard
- 1 TB Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of Tabasco Sauce
- Unsalted butter or olive oil for sauteeing or Vegetable oil for frying
- Spread the crabmeat out on a flat pan/cookie sheet and sprinkle the crushed saltines over the top
- Mix together the mayonnaise, egg, mustard, Worcestershire, and Tabasco in a small bowl.
- Pour the mayo mixture over the crabmeat/crackers and gently toss or fold the ingredients together, taking care not to break up the crabmeat lumps. Let the mixture sit for 2 or 3 minutes before forming the cakes.
- Form the crabcakes by hand or with an ice cream scoop into 8 mounds about 3 inches in diameter and ½ inch thick. Do not pack the mixture too firmly. The cakes should be as loose as possible, yet still hold their shape. Place the cakes on a tray or platter lined with wax paper, cover, and refrigerate at least an hour before cooking.
- Sautee cakes in unsalted butter over med/high heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. OR Broil about 5 minutes each side in preheated broiler.